Pages

25 Sept 2013

Getting Used to Things

I think I'm starting to learn to not hit my head on my bathroom door each time I come out of it. The top of the door frame is a bit above my eye level.

Today was the first day of the two-day orientation. A little over eight hours of information was a little tiring to take in, but I think I managed. I met both Japanese students and exchange students, all of which seem very nice so far. Also, so far all the Japanese exchange students I have met have studied education in one form or another, so I was happy to find that my tutor studies science as well. I had started to think they didn't exist.

Since I still lacked some necessities, we went shopping with Arva and her tutor Kana, and went to eat again afterwards. A decent bowl of ramen and large deep fried shrimp, 500 yen (~4 euros).



Some interesting things/facts that I learned:

- Usually you don't say anything when either coming in to a store or restaurant nor when leaving there, even though the staff greets and thanks you.
- Starting next April, the students of the dorm need to clean the whole (inside of the) building themselves, instead of just their own rooms (I'm mortified about how that's going to work out, especially in the boys' dorm).
- The Japanese honestly do bow a lot.
- The chirping outside is really, really loud. I have my earphones on and am listening to music, and can still hear them.
- Apparently -5 degrees Celsius is really cold.

Also, I'm not surprised that these dorms are supposed to be cold in the winter. I'm rather sceptical about the insulatory properties of the balcony door and the small window my room has...

No comments:

Post a Comment